Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Upset Stomach

Porsche wasn’t quite herself and not wanting to sleep. She kept licking the bedsheets, blanket on my bed and constantly licking her own nose. It is getting late and she wouldn’t sleep. I reprimanded her but she didn’t stop. I got worried and got up to check her muzzle, gums, teeth to see if any foreign object is stuck there that cause this licking spree. I check her breathing by closing her mouth and listen to the air that flow from her nose. It sounded constant and normal.

 

I heard a slight rumbling in her stomach and I got my stethoscope to listen to the sound closely. Her breathing sound alright but her stomach sounded very “happening”. I decided to give her a dose of Mylanta to see if there calms her.  I rub some peppermint oil on her troubled tummy too.  The medicine began to work and she begin to calm down and not licking her own nose that frantically.

 

It took me an hour to pat her to sleep and I am already exhausted. I decide to read up and find out why the licking.  It turn out that it is behaviour in dogs that is under stressed. Stressed can be cause by pain from her troubled stomach.  She didn’t whine so it is not so alarming. But sometimes we do not know why they do something odd and it can be very worrying.

 

I hope to share my little experience here so if anyone come across similar situation, I hope you wouldn’t be as lost as me. What I learn through out the years is, once your dog behave apart from the norm and does something weird, it is always good to check on them.  Though it may not be life threatening situation but at least you can reduce the pain they have to go through before you realized what is going on.

 

No comments: